Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 April 2016

Broch re-construction at Strathyre

When we had our indoor meeting in March, David and Christine kindly brought along a DVD about re-constructing a broch.  I decided there and then to find this re-construction on my next visit to England – at Strathyre, it is on my way if I go via Callender.

I found Strathyre easy enough , I have to drive through it on my way south but had to ask some young men where the broch site was – in fact it was less than 100 yds. from the car park – but there were no sign posts.

I was a bit disappointed to find the whole thing surrounded by wire fencing .  This meant I couldn’t view the steps we saw being made and I had to take photos by sticking the camera through the gaps in the fencing.  The entrance and scarcement were also rather lower than I expected – probably only about 4 ft high – but I suppose their intention was to try out techniques and money and time would have been limited.

What I saw was beautiful – but what most struck  me was that they had the advantage of lovely sedimentary stone which would have chipped/cut nicely into rectangular pieces.  Our Skye broch builders had to work with much less amenable rock – so I think needed to be much more skilled.  No doubt on Skye there were workers who had acquired skills through generations of workers accustomed to dealing with local stone .  Some believe that brochs were built by itinerant bands of broch builders – I don’t think this is possible.  The ideas will have travelled but itinerant builders would not have had the skills to work with local stone.  What do you think?

Anyone travelling south – it is worth a 20 minute stop to have a look –


Some photos attached – I am not sure what is the significance of the lovely carved eagle – anyone know?





Just compare the stone from Strathyre (where incidentally there is no real broch) to the stone from Dun Colbost

No comments:

Post a Comment